Cats urinating inside is a difficult challenge, cat pee has a very strong odour that lingers in your carpets and soft furnishings. Cleaning up every accident thoroughly is the only way to eliminate the smell for good. To stop cats urinating in the house, we need to understand the common reasons why cats pee inside. There are two broad reasons why this behaviour happens; medical and behavioural.
Like humans and other animals, Cats can easily pick up bladder infections or urinary tract infections. These issues are more common with ageing cats. If your cats begin to urinate in the house unexpectedly, we suggest visiting your vet as soon as possible to get them checked out.
If your vet has ruled out a medical reason for your cat peeing inside, you will likely have a behavioural issue.
Anxiety, stress or change
Fireworks and other large bangs can cause your cat significant amounts of stress. Always make sure there is a safe place for your cat to go with a clean litter box. If cats become scared by change or stress, they may start to urinate inside, often in corners or other areas, to avoid going outside or to their litter box. If the issue is persistent, your vet can advise the best way to manage your cat’s stress. This could include calming measures and potentially medication.
Litter box issues
Some cats will only urinate in a litter box if it is clean. As soon as it has been used they may look for other places to do their business. This is especially the case if you have several cats, some cats are not happy sharing their toilet with their housemates. Always make sure you have at least one litter box per cat. You should also clean litter trays out on a regular basis to avoid frustration and accidents.
Some cats, especially intact male cats, will mark their territory, they do this by peeing on varying objects. This is the cat’s way of claiming the space. This is most likely to happen if another animal or cat has been in the vicinity. To prevent this from happening it is important to fully clean any area where another cat or animal has been.
Stopping cats urinating in the house
We have a few tips to help prevent your feline friend from creating a nasty smelling mess that you need to clean up.
- First of all, get a vet to check your cat to make sure there is nothing medically wrong
- Create a relaxing environment and avoid too much change where possible
- Always provide multiple litter trays in the rooms where your cat hangs out
- Regularly clean litter trays fully removing all litter, pee and poop
- Use an enzyme cleaner for cat urine to clean up any pee, this will stop your cat from repeatedly peeing on the same area
- If other animals have visited your house, use an enzyme cleaner to remove their scent
Cleaning up cat urine
To fully remove the distinct nasty smell of cat urine, an enzyme cleaner is required. Enzyme cleaners such as Bio one™ work in a completely different way compared to traditional chemical cleaners. Enzyme cleaners use naturally occurring enzymes to eat away at the bacteria within the urine, breaking it down and removing it altogether.
Enzyme cleaners are completely safe for your pets, they contain no chemicals and are 100% natural. It’s a completely new way of cleaning, reverse engineering nature to benefit our homes. Bio one™ can be used on carpets, soft furnishings and hard floors, it’s vegan registered and safe.
How to use Bio one enzyme cleaner to remove cat urine
If you’re trying to stop your cat from peeing in your house it’s likely that they might have a few accidents along the way, or old stains to clean up. To quickly and effectively clean up cat urine, follow these steps:
- If the urine is fresh dab it to remove as much as you can with a paper towel or cloth
- Spray the area with the correctly made-up mix of Bio one™, use enough product to saturate the area
- Leave the area for at least 5-10 minutes for the enzymes to work
- Gently dab the affected area in order to agitate the product, there is no need to remove the product from the area
- Leave the area to air dry, and you’ll be amazed at how easily the smell has disappeared